Wednesday, March 23, 2011

New Emma


I just discovered, by chance the other day, that there was a new version of Jane Austen's Emma made by the BBC. I love it when the BBC does these classic movies because they really go by the book. So I was pretty excited just knowing there was a new Austen movie out; and then was even more excited when I saw the cast! There's so many great actors/actresses in this one. First there's Romola Garai, who plays Emma (and she's pretty much exactly what I always pictured Emma to look like); Michael Gambon plays Emma's father (what a great character!!); and best of all, Mr. Knightly is played by Jonny Lee Miller (who played my favourite character in Mansfield Park - Edmund Bertram).

Emma & Mr. Knightly

This version of Emma is approximately 4 hours long and comes in 4 parts. You can see some clips and read character bios on the BBC site for it here.
It's kind of funny how many versions there are of all of Jane Austen's books. Here's what's all out there:
(note: I've put stars next to my favourites!)

PRIDE & PREJUDICE:
~ "Big Screen" version, with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier (1940)
~ BBC version, with no one I know (1980)
~ BBC version, with Colin Firth (1995) ***
~ "Big Screen" version, with Kiera Knightly and Matthew MacFadyen (2005) ***


PERSUASION:
~ BBC version, with no one I know (1960)
~ BBC version, with no one I know (1971)
~ "Big Screen" version, with Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root (1995)
~ ITV version, with Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones (2007) ***


EMMA:
~ "Big Screen" version, with Gwenyth Paltrow (1996) ***
~ ITV version, with Kate Beckinsale (1996)
~ BBC version, with Romola Garai (2009) ***


SENSE & SENSIBILITY:
~ BBC version, with no one I know (1981)
~ "Big Screen" version, with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson (1995) ***
~ BBC version, with no one I know (2008)


MANSFIELD PARK:
~ BBC version, with no one I know (1983)
~ "Big Screen" version, with Jonny Lee Miller and Frances O'Connor (1999) ***
~ ITV version, with Billie Piper (2007) ***


NORTHANGER ABBEY:
~ BBC version, with no one I know (1986)
~ ITV version, with no one I know (2007) ***

Suffice it to say, there's lots!! I guess people just can't get enough of them!

2 comments:

  1. You know that we're going to need to get together to watch this right??

    I love her... she does seem perfect. I think we should read the book though first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it! I was actually going to say that in my post! lol We have to do it soon ~ I can't wait for you to see it! I thought of you right away ~ especially because it's Romola Garai (makes me think of Havana Nights hahaha)
    Do you have the book? Probably... but if not, I have an extra copy if you need it. We should read it for sure too. Let me know if you're going to start it! :)

    ReplyDelete